Sunday, February 11, 2007

Food, food, and more food

Baba Ganoush and "ranch" dip

I often read about baba ganoush and thought I would give it a whirl. Um, nope. Not really suited to my taste. I'm willing to give it the mandatory three tries that is required by my own rules for food, but I'm not sure if this is going to be good two tries from now. It may have been the recipe, and I'll try a few different ones, but I'm still trying to acquire a taste for eggplant, so I might wait awhile to try this again. I also tried making a tofu based "ranch" dip. It wasn't great nor was it bad. A little tweaking and I could probably get this dip to my liking.



General Tao's Tofu

General Tao's Tofu from this recipe on VegWeb. Good stuff, but as we were eating it Boo kept suggesting other things that would be good in it--peppers, baby corn, carrots, etc. I told him it might as well be stir fry then. Since we don't usually add tofu to our stir-fry, we decided that we would stick with our own stir-fry recipe, but add some tofu. On its own merit though, this is a good dish. The sauce really needs to be doubled though.


Fruit Pudding

This was an interesting experiment. It started out to be a smoothie, but turned into pudding. Not working off any recipe, I threw a banana, an orange, some flax meal, a handful of baby spinach, a handful of blueberries, and a handful of cranberries into the blender and gave it a few whirls. I was then going to add some soymilk, but the mix was creamy and looked like pudding so I decided to see if the kids would eat it----and they did. Not only did they eat it, but Red wanted as much as she could get her hands on. I was more than happy to oblige, as I added even more spinach to her second helping. Any time I can get spinach, broccoli, or kale into her is a good day!


Over-Roasted Asparagus and Maple Brussel Sprouts with Red Potatoes and Peas


No, that's not a typo.......they were way OVER roasted! I miscalculated the time it would take to make the potatoes so I left the asparagus and brussel sprouts in the oven to keep warm while the potatoes finished. The only problem was I forgot to turn the oven down. Oops. They tasted great, but I know I cooked out any nutrients in them. :) The potato recipe was a Dr. Ornish recipe and turned out okay. It was basically steamed potatoes and peas with a few seasonings.



Breakfast


A typical breakfast for us. Oatmeal with flax, blueberries, bananas, and cinnamon. Fruit on the side varies by what we have in the fridge. I quit buying sugar, and have come to appreciate the sweetness of just the fruit. Boo and the Emo kid are slowly coming around. They still use some agave in theirs. The little ones never used sugar to begin with.


Black Bean Puree with Guacamole


This was a great dip! I'm not sure where the recipe came from. I photocopied it from a cookbook, but didn't write down the name of the cookbook. But as you can imagine, its basically pureed black beans with some seasoning and some guacamole with tomatoes. Mmmm.

1 comment:

Veg-a-Nut said...

Its me agian. I just found your blog and it all looks great! I love steel cut oats with fruit and walnuts for breakfast. Great use for broccoli stems! I am going to try that.