Friday, March 30, 2007

Lentil loaf, rice, green beans



The weather was great today, so we seized the opportunity to eat outside. Tonight's dinner was 'meatloaf', which I have blogged about before, steamed green beans with garlic-infused olive oil, and white rice.

The 'meatloaf', which is really a lentil loaf, came from a recipe created by the Magical Loaf Studio, which was created by Jennifer McCann at Vegan Lunch Box.

I have tried a few recipes using beans instead of lentils, but I think the lentils make the better loaf. Here's our magically created recipe:

Lentil Loaf

1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 large carrot, grated
2 cups cooked lentils
1 cup uncooked oatmeal
1/4 to 1/2 cup vegetable broth, or water
1 heaping tbls of flaxseed meal
1 tsp Italian seasoning
2 tbls nutritional yeast
2 tbls ketchup
dash of vegan Worcestershire sauce
pepper
2 tbls low-sodium soy sauce

Topping Sauce

1/4 to 1/2 cup ketchup
1 tsp maple syrup
dash of vegan Worcestershire sauce


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray either an 8 x 8 square pan or a loaf pan. The square pan will give you a crunchier loaf, the loaf pan will give you a 'meatier' loaf.

Saute the veggies in broth or water until soft. Add to large mixing bowl along with remaining ingredients. Mix and mash together well, adding more broth or water as needed to keep mix moist (moist, not runny!) Press into pan and brush on 1/2 of the topping sauce.

Bake for 1/2 hour, then brush on remaining topping sauce. Bake an additional 15-30 minutes. Cool loaf for 10 minutes before serving.


We have been getting green beans in our weekly delivery for several weeks now. I have used them in two soup/stew recipes and both times the beans didn't get soft. This time though they turned out great. Soft, but with a bit of a crunch. I wanted to drizzle the beans with a garlic/olive oil combination, so I thought I would saute the garlic in some olive oil, let it rest for a bit, strain the garlic pieces out and have a great garlic infused olive oil. Well, I almost made it. I ended up with green beans drizzled in oil (a bit too much) with a hint of garlic. I'll rework it next time and see if I can't get it better.