Friday, March 30, 2007

Nachos, sort of


Craving nachos in all their ooey-gooey glory, I decided to crack open Joanne Stepaniak's Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook and give the 'nacho cheese' recipe a try. Now, it's obviously not cheese (and Boo let me know that!) but I do believe my tastes have shifted enough to actually enjoy the taste of "fake" cheese. The recipe is mainly nutritional yeast and water, but I think the spices really added a tangy punch and suited my tastes just fine. It reminded me of the kind of chips and cheese you get from 7-11 or the movies, but with a nutri-yeast flair and far, far less calories.

I also made homemade refried beans. It was my first try and I think they turned out great! Too bad I ruined 'em by putting way too much rice in the mix. Rice!? What!? Well, Taco Bell (I know, I know) sells a rice and bean burrito that taste really good, so I wanted to duplicate the rice and beans part at home. Too bad I overshot the rice :)

Refried Beans

3 cups cooked pinto beans
1 onion, chopped, diced, minced, whatever you want
1 tsp cumin
1 1/2 tbls chili powder
1/4 cup tomato paste or tomato sauce
water, as needed
(I also added a couple of mild sauce packets from Taco Bell)

Mash beans with a potato masher, or process in food processor. Add all ingredients except water to a high-sided skillet or saucepan. Heat over medium-low heat until heated through. Add water to achieve your desired consistency. Let simmer for 10-15 minutes, adding more water if necessary.


I added some salsa to finish off the nachos, and next time I will add some mashed avocado, spring onions, and maybe some olives.

No comments: