Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Fresh!, Baked Tofu, Asparagus




This weeks Fresh! delivery. We got several new-to-us things to try - dates, parsnips, and shitake mushrooms. I did buy parsnips once before when I first became vegan but I didn't like 'em back then. Maybe they will be better this time. As for the dates, I have been thinking of trying a recipe from Disease Proof, so maybe I'll give that a whirl this week.




We eat mushrooms fairly regularly around here now. Partly because I have read so much about how healthy they are, partly because in the right dish they really do lend a meaty texture, and partly because Dilly Pickles really enjoys them. We usually stick with white button or cremini, so I was excited to try these shitakes.



On the menu tonight was baked tofu w/ a mushroom sauce, roasted asparagus, and a really pathetic salad. In defense of my lackluster salad, I have to say that I was lazy and didn't want to wash all the greens to make a new salad. So, I just used the leftover greens from the salad two nights ago - and - if my family doesn't like what I've cooked they always try and eat the salad instead. Now I'm not sitting here complaining because they want to eat salad, but sometimes they don't give unfamiliar stuff a fair shake. So, this sad little salad gave the tofu and mushrooms a fighting chance. The tofu and mushrooms turned out pretty well if I do say so myself :)

Baked Tofu (original recipe from fatfree.com)

1/2 lb tofu, pressed and sliced into 'patties'
6 tbls soy sauce
2 tbls agave nectar
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 tbls grated ginger
1 tsp minced garlic

Combine soy sauce, agave, vinegar, ginger, and garlic in a wide bowl. Marinate tofu for several hours in sauce. (In the 'fridge)

Place tofu on cookie sheet, bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes.

*Note: Save leftover marinade for the mushroom sauce


Mushroom Sauce

leftover marinade from baked tofu
large handful of shitake mushrooms (or mushrooms of choice), chopped thick
3-4 green onions, white and green parts, chopped

Saute mushrooms and onions in water for about 3 minutes. Add leftover marinade and cook until heated through. Serve over baked tofu.

No comments: