Saturday, April 21, 2007

Lentil Burgers



I decided to give lentil burgers a try tonight. I used a mix of recipes, and the final product was good. Not great, but good. The main problem I have with any kind of homemade veggie burger is that they are kind of mushy. I don't mind it, but want to figure out how to make them a bit firmer. Anyway, here's the recipe.

Lentil Burger

1 cup lentils
3-4 cups water
1 potato, cooked and mashed
1 onion, chopped (although I didn't have onion so I used dried onions)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 bell pepper, any color, chopped
3/4 bread crumbs
1 teaspoon Mrs Dash seasoning

Cook lentils in water for about 25-30 minutes, until they split open. Put lentils in medium mixing bowl.

Saute onion, garlic, and pepper in water (or olive oil) until soft. Add to lentils along with mashed potatoes, bread crumbs and seasoning. Mix well. (Careful though, the mix is hot!)

Shape into patties and either fry on medium heat in frying pan with a little oil for 3-4 minutes on each side, or bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

No comments: