Friday, April 20, 2007

Mac-n-Cheez; Nachos



I have played around with a variety of mac-n-cheez recipes, and each time it gets a little better. I don't know if it's because my taste buds keep evolving, or if the recipe keeps getting better. Either way, we enjoyed the mac-n-cheez today. I wouldn't call it healthy exactly, but certainly better than the blue box stuff. Even the Emo kid piped in with a thumbs up :)

Mac-n-Cheez

1/2 lb pasta of your choice, macaroni works best
1/2 cup flour
1/2 nutritional yeast
couple shakes Mrs Dash Garlic and Herb blend
generous pinch of onion powder
1 clove garlic, pressed or generous pinch of garlic powder
generous pinch of paprika
2 cups water
1/4 cup vegan sour cream
squirt of mustard
salt (sprinkle on individual serving)

Cook pasta according to package directions.

Meanwhile prepare sauce.(Sauce only takes a few minutes to prepare, so time accordingly.) Mix flour, yeast, and spices in saucepan. Turn heat on medium. Slowly whisk water into dry ingredients, stirring constantly until sauce thickens and bubbles slightly. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Add cooked pasta and stir. Salt to desired taste.





Nachos again, but with a chickpea spread instead of refried beans. I just mashed up some chickpeas in the blender and added a few spices. It was okay, but needs work. The cheese is good, I think its my go-to-nacho-cheez cheez now, and I used up the rest of the sour cream from the macaroni.




Boo went shopping for a few things tonight and came home with this pear. It struck me because it still had a little leaf on it and I thought it looked cute, so I snapped a quick picture.

No comments: