Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Thai Peanut Linguine


My mother served this to us over the weekend while we were visiting (and picking up the Emo kid who had been staying there for a couple weeks). It was very tasty so I made it when we got home. Mom has blogged about it before, and the original recipe came from VegWeb. My version is below.

I have never had Thai food before, so I'm not sure how it compares, or even how Thai food is suppose to taste. When I was buying some of the ingredients for the recipe I was pleased to see how much of it was vegan. Our local market carries Thai Kitchen brand, so that is what I used for the curry paste, coconut milk, and rice noodles. Thinking that I might really enjoy Thai food, I went and explored Thai Kitchen's website. They have a really good list of Thai ingredients and how to use them. I look forward to making some more dishes in the near future.

Boo liked it, but thought I should cut back on the peanut butter. The Emo kid liked it only because it had so much peanut butter in it. It was more peanut-y than it should be because I halved the recipe, but forgot to half the peanut butter. Red just picked at the noodles, and Dilly at the veggies and tofu, but not the noodles. Go figure.

Thai Peanut Linguine

1/2 brick extra firm tofu
1/2 pound frozen vegetables (peas,green beans, corn, etc)
1/2 lb broccoli, florets and cut stems
1 carrot
1/2 bulb garlic (3-4cloves)
1/2 bunch scallions
1-2 inch fresh ginger
green curry paste (amount will vary depending on your preference)
1 or 2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
7 ounces coconut milk
7 to 8 ounces rice noodles
oil (for frying tofu)
rice flour (for coating tofu)

Directions:
For noodles: Cook according to package directions

For tofu: cube and coat with rice flour. Fry until outside is crispy.

For sauce: chop scallions, garlic and grate ginger. Saute in water until scallions are soft. Add in the coconut milk, then some curry paste. Add peanut butter and curry paste until it tastes good.

Shred the carrot, then add it, the frozen vegetables, broccoli, and tofu to the sauce. Cook until the vegetables are done.

Add noodles to mix, toss and serve.

1 comment:

Candi said...

All my favourites are in there! Coconut milk, pb, garlic... Looks and sounds perfect!!