Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Whipped Cream, Carrot Raisin Soup


It's fruit month around here! If you want the story, it's at the end of this post, but first the food - Strawberries w/ "whipped cream." This recipe turned out great. (Recipe is from DiseaseProof.com and is last on the page.) I almost choked on the price of macadamia nuts, and will probably use cashews next time.

The little ones even enjoyed it, Red ate the "whipped cream" by the spoonful. The "whipped cream" recipe makes a lot, 'cause we still have plenty left over for another night.

Whipped Cream and Strawberries

1 1/3 cups of macadamia nuts
1 cup soy milk
2/3 cup dates

Blend nuts, soy milk, and dates to make the best-tasting whipped cream. Eat with fresh or frozen strawberries (defrosted). A variation on this theme is to soak dried mangoes in the soy milk overnight and use fewer dates.







This recipe - Cabbage Raisin Soup - was interesting. (Scroll down again.) Sweet soup is not something I've had before. This wasn't overly sweet, but the idea of soup with raisins and nuts in it was kinda strange. It was tolerable enough for Boo and I to finish a bowl, Red didn't touch it, and Dilly ate bowlful after bowlful. The Emo kid was gone, but I'm sure she'll hate it. :)

With enough left for dinner tomorrow, I decided to blend it all together and turn it into a cream soup. We'll see how it tastes tomorrow! (Oh, and I only used 2 onions.)

Cabbage Raisin Soup

3 Tbsp. lemon juice
4 large onions
¼ cup split peas
¼ cup pearl barley
1 head green cabbage
1 cup raisins or currants
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup unsweetened soy milk
2 cups fresh-squeezed apple juice
2 cups water
2 cups chopped carrots
1 tsp. oregano
2 Tbsp. VegiZest
1 tsp. Mrs. Dash

Blend raisins with water in a blender or VitaMix until smooth and creamy. Put liquefied raisins and all other ingredients in a large covered pot and cook on a very low flame. Leave the cabbage in large chunks. When cabbage is soft, remove it from the soup with tongs and blend with some soup liquid. Add blended cabbage and liquid soup, and continue cooking on low heat for an hour.


Now, why the fruit month? I eat a lot of sugar. A LOT. You probably wouldn't believe me if I told you, but it is a lot. In a full-throttle attempt to eliminate processed sugar, I am swearing of candy, cakes, etc. I figured that fruit (with it natural sugar) would help in this process. Therefore, most meals will be fruit centered. We'll see how it goes. :)

2 comments:

Veg-a-Nut said...

I wish you the best of luck with breaking your sugar habit. Seems like the perfect time with all the yummy fruit we have during this season. I have to try the whip cream. I do miss that since becoming vegan, though I don't miss the stomach ache I use to get from it. Keep the fruit yummies coming!

Candi said...

Great job cutting back on sugar! I love the "lots of fruit" plan! I will steal your ideas! :) :)

That whipped creme looks so good! I love macadamia nuts, but not the price. They are so worth it though!